Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Day 4 - Why developers are not paid by the hour

Up to video #12 in the series! I had a few bonus times where I spent more time playing catch-up to my imaginary line. Apparently I didn't need to as I blew through four videos this time.

My board looks about the same:



However now it does tricks! It can detect matches, remove those that detected as a match, slide those around, and then refill! I do want to see if I can switch things up in the next series which has things coming down from the top, I want them to bubble up from the bottom.

Things still go wonky if I go too fast for the board:



But there is a solution for that apparently a bit later. I do wonder if there's a solution that still allows for moves while things are sorting. In move counting games it wouldn`t matter as much as non-move counting games.

Lastly I discovered why developers aren`t paid by the hour. It seems most of their time is spent developing the code, finishing a working project and then returning to correct all of the bad code they wrote initially. The comments section and a good last portion of the videos seem to deal with consolidating and rewriting code to be more streamlined and less of a system hogging mess. I think I`ll just keep on this pace and worry about streamlining later.

This also lets me know just how valuable a good programmer is vs a bad one.

No comments:

Post a Comment