Friday, October 2, 2020

Day 15-19 A week of progress!

 I took the whole week off for my birthday. Though I did not spend 18 hours a day working on the project I did spend about one to three hours each day making a lot of progress. I`m glad I did too! These videos are much more detailed and longer. I only completed four but there was much in those four. Starting from the first day:

Day 15 - Making different levels. This went well, it was pretty straight forwards, the only strange part was getting the levels to show up. I hope to figure out a faster way to create levels as well, having to individually list each part takes a lot of time I had hoped to spend on other tasks. There might be a way to do it in the main page then save it as a level. Will investigate later!

Day 16 - Level select - This was mostly in Unity. I had to create a lot of art assets as I wasn`t using the exact ones from the video. I think it will be fine but again, I need to make some better quality ones or buy some. I don`t like this low detail look, it doesn`t have the cool pixelated look, or maybe its a clash of different styles. Here was the result: 


    Day 17 - Coding level transitions - This one got to me. I kept running into issues both in unity and in coding. I was getting all sorts of null exceptions, had a modify my code. Keeping track of where things start at 0 and where things start at 1 gave me a headache. 

    Day 18-19 - Binary File - Finally starting to feel like a game! It can now create and save your progress. Apparently there is an unencrypted version called PlayerPerfs, but Mr. Taft prefers the more secure version. It doesn`t seem to effect much for loading time and having to do it later would be a bit of a pain. 
    I had a moment of elation while finishing up the first day! I had a problem where the code was not finding the player.dat file. I noticed that no-where in the code did it actually create a file, just tried to open and save one! Well I wrote my first bit of code and using a few references from code I had written earlier fixed the problem. Now, without help from anyone for the first time, I created a bit of code to check if there was player.dat, open it if it existed, or create it if it didn`t! In complete honesty, I found out later that if I just changed the code from open to create it would check anyways. BUT the accomplishment is still there. 
    Data now saves, your score updates and it even unlocks the next level! Not entirely sure where this will all fit into my larger plan but it's there! Video of selecting level, completing and unlocking next level below:



I`m losing a bit of ground having to do a lot of background work, editing pictures, downloading other assets. But I still think I`m on track. I`m on video 52 of 65. Just need to make sure I`m getting at-least one done a week! Going to eat through my contingency time I need to go back and make a bunch of changes so the game is closer to what I want to publish.

Till next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment