Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Day 22 & 23 - Tutorials done!!! (the easy part)

     I have finished the videos from Mister Taft Creates! Despite this success, there is MUCH left to do! Still this checks many of the boxes for my very first game. It has level selects, keeps scores, assigns stars, unlocks new levels and everything! 

    Now I have about two months to do a whole lot of uncharted work. I am apprehensive, daunted and pressed for time. Adding to this my wifes brain tumor (did I mention that before?) has gotten worse. She's about 7 to 8 years beyond the life expectancy of someone who had the size of tumor she did but this last year has been a significant amount of degrading condition for her. I don't know if she'll last the night, I don't know if she'll be fine for another decade. But back to the work, here's a list of things I need to do, and things I want to do:


Need: 

Fix scaling issue - The background scales, but the tiles don't. Need to fix that. According to Russ that's the Unity nightmare.

Water level game addition - Not much of a bildging game without water in the hold! Difficulty (Hard) There's little in the way of resources for this and I want it to be able to affect the board pieces. 

    Setting up the water itself I have some resources, how to make it change height or affect the speed board pieces move, not as sure. 

Bilging math - The bilge pump needs to move against the water level. This combines a score, a time and a water increase rate. In theory this should be easy. In practice I have no idea how all these variables will be able to tie together. It will also require much refinement and testing.

Voyage selector - Since levels are very different than voyages I need to make those adjustments. This includes making a random voyage generator including length, difficulty and payout.

Art rework - I have a lot of art I've created. I need to reskin a ton. I'm still lacking a bit of background art. I'll have to choose to their do without or do with less. This also includes the UI, the splash screens and when people activate bonus items and get combos.

Want: 

    Animations - I could spend months on this. Animations make a game after all. There are a ton of resources, but I don't know how many I'll be able to use. On that list- Animate the background. Ocean waves, birds and islands drifting by would be good, but that's more art, more work and I'm not sure how much I would get from it. Animations for game pieces would be a much better place to work at , those are where the eyes will be most the time anyways. I would like to not do six million animations for everything, I would like to use Unitys animation parts but that's a whole extra thing to learn. UI animations are also a bit of an eyesore right now. A bit of a mess to figure that out, though I already have something in the works.

    Sounds and music - This might be one of the easiest I can add. However I get the least returns from it. Most people play with the sound off, so investing my time lightly here.

Reward system - Just completing the voyage is fine, but everyone likes progress, and progression requires more than I have covered so far. Might be a bridge too far for a beta.

Create game map - This isn't necessary. I can get around it and simplify, but I really would love being able to sail and track progress on different islands.

Ship upgrades - Increase speeds, pumping, distance to travel, etc. Definitely want, might not get.

Power up purchases - Using in game rewards for purchasing power ups to use in games.

Make increasingly difficult levels - Might need testers for this.

    

   There is much to do. There is time to do it. Just gotta stay focused and have fun on this! Must remember the fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment